MEDIA RELEASE: Book Aid International sends first shipment of books to Liberia
Book Aid International is pleased to announce that over 23,000 brand new books donated by UK publishers are now on their way to Liberia. The books will be used by the WE-CARE Foundation, The University of Liberia and Plan Liberia to support education across the country and enrich the lives of thousands of readers.
Liberia is Africa’s oldest modern republic. It was originally home to freed slaves from America and was the first African nation to elect a female president in 2005, but its history has been marred by conflict. The country was devastated by two periods of civil war that raged from 1990-1997 and again from 1999-2003, leaving an estimated 250,000 people dead. 80% of schools were destroyed or damaged and most of the country’s teachers fled the country.
Liberia’s recovery was further impacted by the Ebola outbreak in 2014 in which 4,809 people lost their lives. More than 4,400 schools were closed for six months during the epidemic leaving 1.5 million children without access to education. Today, Liberia lags behind most other African countries in nearly all education statistics.
Book Aid International is proud to provide books to its partners across the county who are working to improve the lives of Liberians through education and reading. Michel Weah from the WE-CARE Foundation in Liberia explained the impact the books will have:
“One of the major problems in our Liberian schools is lack of books and this shipment from Book Aid International will really help in meeting that need. Trained teachers and books readily available to the students create an environment where learning is taking place. These will be part of the effort to fill the chronic need for current books that is endemic at all levels of the Liberian school system.”
Alison Tweed, Book Aid International’s Chief Executive, spoke of the charity’s commitment to expand its work into Liberia:
“The need in Liberia is great and we are very pleased to be able to provide thousands of brand new books to support Liberian readers and learners. The books we are providing range from story books which will ignite children’s imaginations to university texts which will help students develop their professional skills, so they will support people from all walks of life. I would like to extend a warm thank you all of the publishers here in the UK who so generously donated the brand new, beautiful books which are currently on their way to Liberia.”
Book Aid International’s expansion into Liberia was funded by Players of People’s Postcode Lottery. To date, players of People’s Postcode Lottery have provided a total of £900,000 to help the charity send books to readers around the world.
To find out more about Book Aid International’s planned work in Liberia, please visit: https://www.bookaid.org/countries/liberia
NOTES TO EDITORS
For further information and comment please contact Emma Taylor, Head of Communications at Book Aid International
t: 020 7326 5800
About Book Aid International
Book Aid International is the UK’s leading international book donation and library development charity. Every year, the charity aims to ship around one million brand new books to thousands of communities where people have very few opportunities to access books and read.
Book Aid International works with an extensive network of libraries, schools, hospitals, NGOs and other partners to ensure that the books it sends reach as many people as possible. The charity estimates that the books it provides reach 24 million people every year.
In addition, Book Aid International runs projects which build the capacity of librarians and teachers to support people and communities.
Visit www.bookaid.org for more information or join the conversation on twitter: @book_aid.
About People’s Postcode Lottery
- People’s Postcode Lottery is a charity lottery. Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes, while raising money for charities and good causes across Great Britain and globally
- A minimum of 31% goes directly to charities and players have raised £237.8 million for good causes across the country
- £10 for 10 draws paid monthly in advance with prizes every day. For further prize information visit: www.postcodelottery.co.uk/prizes
- Maximum amount a single ticket can win is 10% of the draw revenue to a maximum of £400,000
- Players can sign up by Direct Debit, or online at www.postcodelottery.co.uk, or by calling 0808 10-9-8-7-6-5
- Postcode Lottery Limited is regulated by the Gambling Commission under licences number: 000-000829-N-102511-014 and Number: 000-000829-R-102513-013. Registered office: Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR
- People’s Postcode Lottery manages multiple society lotteries promoted by different charities. For details on which society lottery is running each week, visit www.postcodelottery.co.uk/society
Note: Header image photo credit: UNMEER-Simon Ruf